lördag 27 april 2019

Happy Easter, Athenians!


Yes, this weekend the greek-orthodox church mourn the death of Jesus Christ and tonight at 00.00 celebrates the ressurection of Him. They have fasted for 40 days, which nowadays means no meat, no eggs, no milkproducts. But after midnight tonight they all eat grilled lamb, preferably a whole lamb to share. The restaurants are fully booked. And fireworks of course.
I spoke to a woman about how important  their tradition of Easter is, the most important actually. The kids get presents, new clothes and new shoes.
When I told her about how we celebrate, she was shocked. Well, it's all preference.
I'm not religious at all. But I can envy the strong tradition of doing something together like that. They go to church on Good Friday and at nine o'clock pm they go in processions from the churches and there are many churches.
And then there is the light, at midnight. Jesus is back! Everyone lits candles.

And since the crisis in economy here in Greece still is very obvious and a reality, I understand that it may be even more important.

And what do I do? I enjoy the sun that finally came to Athens, spending time on the huge terrace and enjoy being here. In my solitude.